Sunday, January 2, 2011

Let the thrifting begin!

Being at home for Christmas break has made me realize how much I want to change in our house. Unfortunately, I’m not someone that likes to spend a lot of money. That has its advantages and disadvantages. One advantage is that it allows me the creativity to find new and inexpensive ways to spruce up what I already have with just a few new to me items.

Before we left for town yesterday, we ate lunch at my mother-in-law’s house. We go there every year on New Year’s day for black-eyed peas. I still think they taste like dirt, but it doesn’t keep me from eating a few (3 to be exact) so I won’t be the only one that misses out on good luck and prosperity.

Cole, my mother-in-law & Audrey

IMG_3572

Cole, Audrey and me

IMG_3571

Audrey sporting the new shirt that her daddy lovingly chose for her. They call it a ‘cat’stronaut.

IMG_3567

Cole about to dive into the banana pie if he doesn’t get a second piece.

IMG_3568

Begging….Puss in Boots adorable eyes trick style.

IMG_3569

Audrey and I had to visit Chick-fil-A before we left town.

IMG_3576

We ended up making a trip to a thrift store and Hobby Lobby. I only brought home a few things. I found this ceramic urn marked down to $1.98. The picture doesn’t show the true color. It was a pale shade of sage green. It looked really strange. The top and bottom are both metal.

IMG_3583

IMG_3584

I used an Elmer’s school glue crackling method to paint the urn. First, I used brown craft paint for my base coat. I only used one coat, as you can see. It doesn’t have to be perfect because it’s just going to be the underneath color that shows through when the paint crackles.

IMG_3594

Then, I divided the urn into thirds and brushed on Elmer’s glue.  I let it sit for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Then, I painted over the glue (while it was still tacky) with my top coat of ivory craft paint. I used an embossing gun to dry the paint to create the crackle effect.  You could probably use a hair dryer if you don’t have an embossing gun.

IMG_3595

IMG_3597

The color is completely off in this picture because there was so much light streaming in the window, but I ended up putting a plant in the urn and setting it on my computer desk.

IMG_3599

I didn’t like the looks of the fern in the white pitcher on top of our piano, so I picked up some new greenery at Hobby Lobby.

IMG_3581

I spent about $11 on the different floral stems and dark red bouquet. The price of floral arrangements is crazy! This is my first real floral arrangement. My sister-in-law, Niki, had made one for me for fall, so she showed me a few tricks. Mine is by no means perfect, but it’s better than the fern.

IMG_3586

It looks better in real life, but here’s an idea of what it looks like now. We will be giving the piano back to my parents soon, so it should free up a lot of space in our tiny farmhouse.

IMG_3591

2 comments:

  1. I love your crackle painting on the urn! I have a few things I've been wanting to do that to for the studio. Such good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts so much! Love the picture of Wanda, Cole and Audrey, such a great picture. One of my goals for this year is to visit my aunt, not just see her at Wal-Mart, I really miss her and think of our old crazy days when mom was still around. Your posts are always so postive and uplifting, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...